An important source of music for Sussex Harmony is contained in the Singing Seat, an anthology of West Gallery music originally sung in the Parish church of Catsfield, East Sussex.
We are working on producing a CD from new recordings of pieces from the
Singing Seat and other sources. To hear some of these click Taster.
Other sources are:
- The Sussex Harmony Birthday Book, Sussex Harmony.
- A collection of assorted, hymns, carols, anthems and other music obtainable from the Music Director.
- Northern Harmony, Larry Gordon and Anthony G. Barrand. A North American collection of 18th Century hymnody using shape-note Notation.
- The Sacred Harp, 1991 Edition. sacred Harp Publishing Company Inc. A shape-note notation collection similar to Northern Harmony.
- First Steps in Music Theory Grades 1 to 5, Eric Taylor, Associated Boards. An invaluable pocket sized primer for notation and helping understand what a
sheet of music is telling you.
Other than the last copies and prices of these publications may be obtained from the Music Director.
You can hear a selection of the numbers that we sing regularly by choosing from the list below: